Monday, April 2, 2012

New Music Mondays: Someone Un-Like You

I never thought I'd say this, but I am tired of Adele!
Hey guys!  It's a turning table!

It's mid-way through competition season for us and Adele has already won "most overplayed artist at competition" by a landslide.  I have seen "Turning Tables" as a solo, duet, small group, with a table, with twelve tables, with no tables (and my studio is guilty of using it too).  "Set Fire To The Rain", "Rumour Has It" and "Someone Like You" have also been well represented.

So if you're like me and want a change of pace, here are a few current songs I've been using in contemporary and jazz class lately that are not Adele. All links open in iTunes

Paradise - Coldplay - I love the build-up in the beginning. My senior class really get into this one when the bass comes in around 0:34.  I used it for across the floor and center combos with improv.

Night Drop - Act of Valor - The whole soundtrack is great for improv work and working on emotions - I especially like this track.

Keep Your Head Up - Ben Howard - I like this for warm-ups that start slowly and end up in big movements and small jumps (song picks up around 1:13).  Somehow the refrain of "keep your head up, keep your heart strong" keeps me going :)

Black Sheep - Gin Wigmore - couldn't find this one on iTunes - here it is on YouTube. Love this for a sassy jazz combo.  **Warning it does use the word "h-e-double-hockey-sticks word" (h*ll) in the bridge, so may not be appropriate for your classes.

Holy Moses - Washington - This is a fun one for warm-ups.  I have been using this song in tap class too.

Riverside - Agnes Obel - I love this haunting song - would work nicely for a small group. And it's in 6/8 time... bonus!

3 comments:

  1. That Agnes Obel song was in an episode of "Revenge" last fall and I've been trying to figure out the name. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe love the title. I listen to Adele while riding the train to teach dance class. So funny how many studios have used it. great suggestions! :) 

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...